- Sun-Young KIM (full-time professor)
- Faculty Appointment
- Associate Professor and Department Chair
- Area of Expertise
- Research Method, Biostatistics, Environmental Statistics and Epidemiology, Spatial Analysis
- Work Experience
Associate Professor, NCC-GCSP, Goyang-si, Korea, 2020-present
Assistant Professor, NCC-GCSP, Goyang-si, Korea, 2017-2020
Research Assistant Professor, Institute of Health and Environment & Graduate School of Public Health, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2014-2017.
Research Scientist, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, USA, 2012-2014.
Senior Research Fellow, Department of Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, USA, 2005-2012.
- Educational Background
- Ph.D. Public Health Science (Biostatistics major), Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2005.
M.P.H. Public Health Science (Biostatistics major), Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea, 2002.
B.A. Health Education, Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea, 1998.
- Research Interests
- Dr. Sun-Young Kim has pursued her research interest in environmental risk factors and their associations with human health including cancer. Specifically, focusing on air pollution, she is working with study design development, air pollution modeling, and health effect analysis. In addition, she is interested in spatial pattern of cancer and identification of high risk areas and related geographical risk factors. Dr. Kim earned her Ph.D. in Public Health Science with Biostatistics major at the Seoul National University Graduate School of Public Health in Seoul, Korea, and had worked at the University of Washington and the Seoul National University before joining the NCC-GCSP.
- International Collaboration
- Editorial board of the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health
Editorial board of the Yonsei Medical Journal
Peer reviewed journal articles for the previous 2 years (mentees starred):
1. Lee H, Kim OJ, Myung W, Kim SY. Long-term exposure to particulate air pollution and incidence of Parkinson’s disease: A nationwide population-based cohort study in South Korea. Environmental Research (in press).
2. Kwon D, Choe YJ, Kim SY, Chun BC, Choe SA. Ambient air pollution and Kawasaki disease in Korean children, a study of the National Health Insurance Claim data. Journal of the American Health Association 2022 (in press).
3. Lee HW, Kang SC, Kim SY, Cho YJ, Hwang S. Long-term exposure to PM10 as a risk factor for incident lung cancer in female never-smoker; national health screening cohort analysis. Cancer Res Treat 2022 (in press).
4. Jun YB*, Song I, Kim OJ. Kim SY. The impact of limited residential address on health effect analysis of predicted air pollution in a simulation study. Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology 2022 (in press).
5. Shin M*, Kim OJ, Yang S, Kim SY. Different mortality risks of long-term exposure to particulate matter across different cancer sites. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health 2022;19:3180.
6. Ju MJ, Park SK, Kim SY, Choi YH. Long-term exposure to ambient air pollutants and hearing loss in Korean adults. Science of the Total Environment 2022;820(2022):1531124.
7. Byun G, Kim H, Kim SY, Kim SS, Oh H, Lee JT. Validity evaluation of indirect adjustment method for multiple unmeasured confounders: a simulation and empirical study. Environmental Research 2022:204(A):111992.
8. Jeong MJ*, Heo J, Kim WJ, Kim SY. Exploration of temporal and spatial patterns of surface ozone concentrations for development of ozone prediction model in South Korea. Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment 2022;38(1):100-125 (Korean).
9. Kim HH, Han JH, Kim SY, Lee ES, Kang HS, Lee S, Jung SY, Lee EG. Sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer patients with pathological complete response in the axillary lymph node after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Journal of Breast Cancer 2021;24(6):e48.
10. Liu J, Clark LP, Bechle M, Hajat A, Kim SY, Robinson AL, Sheppard L, Szpiro AA, Marshall JD. Disparities in air pollution exposure in the United States by race-ethnicity and income, 1990-2010. Environmental Health Perspectives 2021;129(12):127005.
11. Lu T, Marshall J, Zhang W, Hystad P, Kim SY, Matthew B, Matthias D, Steve H. National empirical models of air pollution using microscale measures of the urban environment. Environmental Science & Technology 2021;55(22):15519-15530.
12. Tran BT, Choi KS, Sohn DK, Kim SY, Suh JK, Tran, TH, Nguyen TTB, Oh JK. Estimating cost-effectiveness of screening for colorectal cancer in Vietnam. Expert Review of Pharmacoeconomics & Outcomes Research 2021;21(6):1211-1220.
13. Jan H, Kim W, Cho J, Shon J, Noh J, Seo G, Lee SK, Noh Y, Koh SB, oh SS, Kim HJ, Seo SW, Kim HH, Lee JI, Kim SY, Kim C. Cohort Profile: The Environmental-Pollution-Induced Neurological EFfects (EPINEF) study, a multicenter cohort study of the Korean adults. Epidemiology and Health 2021:e2021067.
14. Kim SY, Pope CA, Marshall JD, Fann N, Sheppard L. Reanalysis of the association of reduction in long-term PM2.5 concentrations and improved life-expectancy. Environmental Health 2021:20;102.
15. Park MJ, Kim SY, Jeon CW. Estimation of national-scale traffic amounts and application to an air pollution study. Transportation Technology and Policy 2021;18(3):23-32 (Korean).
16. Choe SA, Kim DK, Kim SK, Im C, Kim SY, Kim YS, Yoon TK, Wellenius G. Land use and semen quality: a fertility center cohort study. PLoS ONE 2021;16(8):e0255985.
17. Kim W, Jang H, Kim YT, Cho J, Sohn J, Seo G, Lee J, Yang SH, Lee SK, Noh Y, Kho SB, Oh SS, Kim HJ, Seo SW, Kim HY, Lee JI, Kim SY, Kim C. The effect of body fatness on regional brain imaging markers and cognitive function in healthy elderly mediated by impaired glucose metabolism. Journal of Psychiatric Research 2021;140:488-495.
18. Yang S*, Kim OJ, Shin M, Kim WJ, Kim SY. Association between long-term exposure to air pollution and incidence of lung cancer in the Korean National Sample Cohort. Environmental Research 2021;198:111214.
19. Min KD, Kim J, Park YH, Shin HU, Kim C, Seo SW, Kim SY. New assessment for residential greenness and the association with cortical thickness in healthy adults. Science of the Total Environment 2021;778:146129.
20. Kirwa K, Szpiro AA, Sheppard L, Sampson PD, Wang M, Keller JP, Young MT, Kim SY, Larson TV, Kaufman JD. Fine-scale air pollution models for epidemiologic research: insights from approaches developed in the Multi-ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis and Air Pollution (MESA Air). Current Environmental Health Reports 2021;8(2):113-126.
21. Lee MJ, Han WH, Chun JY, Kim SY, Kim JH. Presepsin in the rapid response system for cancer patients: A retrospective analysis. Journal of Clinical Medicine 2021;10(10):2153.
22. Yoon HY, Kim SY, Kim OJ, Song JW. Nitrogen dioxide increases the risk of mortality in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. European Respiratory Journal 2021;57:2001877.
23. Pak S, Kim SY, Kim SH, Joung SY, Park WS, Chung J, Lee KH, Seo HK. Association between antibiotic treatment and the efficacy of intravesical BCG therapy in patients with high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Frontiers in Oncology 2021;11:570077.
24. Hyun JW, Kwon YN, Lee HL, Jeong WK, Lee HJ, Kim BJ, Kim SW, Shin HY, Shin JH, Oh SY, Lee MY, Kim SH, Huh SY, Kim W, Park MS, Kim SY, Kim SM, Kim HJ. Recurrence of clinical events at the same anatomical location in patients with MOG antibody-associated disease. Multiple Sclerosis Journal 2021;27(3):449-452.
25. Kim H, Choe SA, Kim OJ, Kim SY, Kim SG, Im C, Kim YS, Yoon TK. Outdoor air pollution and diminished ovarian reserve among infertile Korean women. Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine 2021;26:20.
26. Choi IY, Kim SY, Song HR, Chang JG, Kim HS, Kim WH, Lee SY, Hong MH. Lethality associated factors in deliberate self-poisoning. Journal of the Korean Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2021;32(1):17-27.
27. Tran BT, Choi KS, Pham NH, Nguyen, TX, Sohn DK, Kim SY, Suh JK, Phan VS, Pham HT, Nguyen MH, Nguyen TB, Hoang HK, Nguyen TTB, Nguyen MT, Oh JK. The direct and indirect costs of colorectal cancer in Vietnam: An economic analysis from a social perspective. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health 2021;18(1):12.
28. Kim SY, Kim E, Kim WJ. Health effects of ozone on respiratory diseases. Tuberculosis & Respiratory Diseases 2020;83:S6-S11.
29. Tran BT, Pham NH, Nguyen, TX, Choi KS, Sohn DK, Kim SY, Suh JK, Nguyen TTD, Phan VS, Tran DT, Nguyen TT, Nguyen TTB, Nguyen MT, Oh JK. Measurement of health-related quality of life among colorectal cancer patients using the Vietnamese value set of the EQ-5D-5L. Patient Preference and Adherence 2020:14;2427-2437.
30. Song I*, Kim OJ, Choe SA, Kim SY. Spatial heterogeneity in the association between particulate matter air pollution and low birth weight in South Korea. Environmental Research 2020 191;11009.
31. Cho J, Noh Y, Kim SY, Sohn J, Noh J, Jang H, Kim W, Cho SK, Seo H, Seo G, Lee SK, Seo S, Koh SB, Oh SS, Kim HJ, Seo SW, Shin DS, Kim N, Kim C. Long-Term Ambient Air Pollution Exposures and Brain Imaging Markers in Korean Adults: The Environmental Pollution-Induced Neurological Effects (EPINEF) Study. Environmental Health Perspectives 2020;128(11):117006.
32. Kim OJ*, Lee SH, Kang SH, Kim SY. Incident cardiovascular disease and particulate matter air pollution in South Korea using a population-based and nationwide cohort of 0.2 million adults. Environmental Health 2020:19;133.
33. Choe SA, Kim SK, Im C, Kim SY, Kim YS, Yoon TK. Nighttime environmental noise and semen quality: A single fertility center cohort study. PLoS ONE 2020 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0240689.
34. Wang Y, Bechle M, Kim SY, Adams PJ, Pandis SN, C Arden P, Robinson AL, Sheppard L, Szipro AA, Marshall JD. Spatial decomposition analysis of NO2 and PM2.5 air pollution in the United States. Atmospheric Environment 2020:241;117470.
35. Cho J, Sohn J, Noh J, Jang H, Kim W, Cho SK, Seo H, Seo G, Lee SK, Noh Y, Seo S, Koh SB, Oh SS, Kim HJ, Seo SW, Shin DS, Kim N, Kim HH, Lee JI, Kim SY, Kim C. Association between exposure to polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and brain cortical thinning: The Environmental Pollution-Induced Neurological EFfects (EPINEF) study. Science of the Total Environment 2020:737;140097.
36. Kwon SO, Han YJ, Hong SH, Bak SH, Kim J, Lee MK, Kim SY, Kim WJ. Long-term exposure to PM10 and NO2 in relation to lung function and imaging phenotypes in a COPD cohort. Respiratory Research 2020:21;247.
37. Jo YS, Cha JH, Kim YK, Kim SY, Lee HS. Simultaneous double balloon dilation using double channel therapeutic endoscope in patients with cricopharyngeal muscle dysfunction: An observation study. Medicine 2020:99(35);e21793.
38. Coleman NC, Mann D, Hibgee JD, Lefler JS, Merrill RM, Burnett RT, Ezzati M, Marshall JD, Kim SY, Bechle M, Robinson AL, Pope AC. Cancer mortality risk, fine particulate air pollution, and smoking in a large, representative cohort of U.S. Adults. Cancer Causes & Control 2020:8;768-776.
39. Byun S*, Kim SY. Has air pollution concentration increased over the past 17 years in Seoul, South Korea? : The gap between public perception and measurement data. Journal of Korean Society for Atmospheric Environment 2020;36(2):240-248 (Korean).
40. Park Y*, Song I, Yi J, Lee SJ, Kim SY. Web-based visualization of scientific research data: national-scale distribution of air pollution in South Korea. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health 2020;17:2230.
41. Kim JH*, Kim SY. Comparative analysis of administrative databases for PM pollution in South Korea and United States. Journal of Environmental Policy and Administration 2020:28(1);71-100 (Korean).
42. Higbee JD, Lefler JS, Burnett RT, Ezzati M, Marshall JD, Kim SY, Bechle M, Robinson AL, Pope AC. Estimating long-term pollution exposure effects through inverse probability weighting methods with Cox proportional hazards models. Environmental Epidemiology 2020;4(2):e085.
43. Kim SY, Bechle M, Hankey S, Sheppard L, Szpiro AA, Marshall JD. Concentrations of criteria pollutants in the contiguous U.S., 1979 – 2015: Role of prediction model parsimony in integrated empirical geographic regression. PLoS ONE 2020:15(2);e0228535.
44. Moon DH, Kwon SO, Kim SY, Kim WJ. Air pollution and incidence of lung cancer by histological type in Korean adults: A Korean National Health Insurance Service Health Examinee Cohort Study. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health 2020:17(3);915.
45. Min KD, Yi SJ, Kim HC, Leem JH, Hong S, Kim K, Kim SY. Association between pediatric allergic diseases and predicted air pollution level. Environmental Health 2020:19;6.
Complete list of publications in Google Scholar:
On-going research projects as a principal Investigator:
1. Long-term exposure to air pollution associated with climate change, health effect, and socioeconomic disparity. Basic Research Program, National Research Foundation of Korea. 2022.03-2027.02.
2. Assessment of health effect of air pollution in patients with interstitial lung disease. Korea Center for Disease Control. 2021.04 – 2023.12 (Co-principal investigator).
3. Air pollution and cancer: ascertainment of existing evidence and suggestion of new evidence. National Research and Development Program for Cancer Control, National Cancer Center of Korea. 2021.01 – 2023.12.
4. Spatial analysis for identification of high-risk areas and exploration of geographical risk factors for cancer mortality and incidence using spatial big data in South Korea. Korean Foundation for Cancer Research. 2020.09 – 2022.08.